Make your own Holiday Crafts using materials from
around the house. Get Mom or Dad to help, or get
permission before beginning this project!
Egg Carton Ant
- Egg carton (At least three rows in length)
- 8 flexible drinking straws
- 2 soda bottle caps or toothpaste caps
- Black marker
- Sharp pencil
- Paint (optional)
- Paint brush (optional)
- Using scissors, cut the egg carton to at least three rows (make sure to get an adult to help with this step!).
- Paint the carton a color of your choice and let dry (optional).
- Flip your carton over so that the bottom is now the top of the ant.
- Using the sharp pencil, poke two holes in the top of the first cup -- adults can do this step before craft time.
- From inside the cup, poke two bend ends of the straws through the pencil holes (one end through each hole) to make the antennae. Make sure to tape ends down on the inside.
- Next poke one hole on each side of each cup (six holes total) -- again, adults can do this step.
- Push the bent part of the straw through the holes. These will make the six legs. Make sure to tape down the ends on the inside.
- Glue on bottle or toothpaste caps as eyes on the front of the carton.
- Draw a smile using a black marker.
Don't waste water!
Stay cool this summer with these water conservation tips!
- Swim at a public pool instead of using a sprinkler in the front yard.
- If you want to play with the hose or the sprinkler, make sure it is in a dry part of the lawn that can use the water
- Re-use pool towels instead of washing them with every use.
- Set up a rain barrel under a rain gutter outside your house. You can catch hundreds of gallons to use for watering the lawn, washing the car, etc. Just don’t drink it, and make sure to keep it covered with a screen so it doesn’t breed mosquitoes.
Contact your local solid waste office for details regarding
your hometown recycling program.
Check out these other great environmental tips for every holiday:
General Holiday Tips for the Environment